Vikings Wide Receiver Rankings
1. Percy Harvin – Harvin shouldn’t be the #1 option on any NFL team, but he is by default. Harvin is a home run threat every time he has the ball in his hands. The issue is he’s not going to out jump or be a mismatch, unless he’s lined up in the slot. He could be a Wes Welker type of receiver with speed and that would be a great thing to have in your #2 wide out. Not coincidentally, Welker’s best year happened with Randy Moss on the other side of the field.
2. Jerome Simpson – Simpson (pictured – by Navin75) could be a great player around week 5 or so. He has to serve a 3 game ban and it will take him at least 1 game to get into the mix. Simpson should take over the #1 WR spot on a very thin depth chart. Michael Jenkins should come back from his knee injury, but most likely lose his starting spot once Simpson gets up to speed.
Jerome Simpson could be next Laurent Robinson
3. Greg Childs – Childs is the sleeper on the Vikings. Before Childs got hurt, he was one of the Top 5 wide receivers in his class. The knee injury really affected his performance last year. Childs only had 21 receptions for 241 yards and 0 TDs as a senior, but had 46 receptions 659 yards and 6 TDs in 8 games as a junior. Childs ran a 4.65 at the combine, but at his pro day he ran in the 4.4 range. Childs could take over the #1 WR or at least the #2 spot by the end of the year.
4. Michael Jenkins – Jenkins is coming off of a knee injury, but should be ready to go by the beginning of the season. He has the most experience of any wide receiver on the team and could be in the mix for the #1 spot if healthy. Jenkins is not that fast, but is a true position WR. I believe that he will lose his spot to Simpson and/or Childs and could flat out be cut depending on how he comes back from the injury.
5. Jarius Wright – Wright should be the backup to Percy Harvin. Wright is 5-10 with above average speed and decent hands. I don’t see him being a huge factor in the Vikings passing game unless injuries come up.
6. Devin Aromashodu – Aromashodu is the wildcard on the Vikings WR depth chart and could be fighting for his spot come training camp. I think he will make the team, but it could come down to him, Jenkins and other lower salary cap players. Harvin, Simpson, Childs and Wright will all make the team. That only leaves 2 to 3 spots open.